It's dead simple to take your Vacherin Mont d'Or from tasty to mindblowingly ooey-gooey delicious. Here's what we recommend:
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C.
- Remove the wooden lid and plastic wrap from your Mont d'Or. But leave it in the wooden box.
- Place the Mont d'Or in an oven-proof dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- At the 10-minute mark, give the surface of the Mont d'Or a little poke with a spoon. If it wobbles like a '80s waterbed, it's ready!
If it's still a little firm, leave it in the oven for a few more minutes, but watch it closely. By 15 minutes it should reach waterbed wobbly-ness.
- When its ready, remove the Mont d'Or from the oven. The rind is not edible on this cheese, so use a sharp knife and cut an X in the rind on top of the cheese. Carefully peel back the rind and serve!
You can use a spreading knife or spoon to spread your funky, gooey cheese on bread, crackers, potatoes, or cured meats. Or simply dip your accompaniments right into the cheese fondue-style!
If, by some strange miracle, you have some Vacherin Mont d'Or left over, simply cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a week. You can then reheat to serve again or even grate it over potatoes or roasted vegetables.